Thursday is my birthday + that means that this girl is turning the big 2-4. It’s funny because I have a ton of friends who are older than me, so I still feel like a baby, but then I have a handful of friends who are younger than me, so I’m feelin’ OLD. Either way, I’m excited to be turning 24.
24. Twenty-four. 2. 4. I feel like 24 is a good round, even number. It screams adult. Like when I was 18/19, I was an “adult” but not really. Then when I was 20, I was just wishing I was 21 + then when I turned 21, I realized that I still couldn’t do anything. 22 was the year I listened to “22” by Taylor Swift 22 too many times, then I turned 23 + no one likes you when you’re 23.
BUT NOW, now I’m (turning) 24. There’s nothing to be said about 24 year olds, it’s a blank canvas. I can make 24 whatever I want it to be. I mean, I’ll probably just lay in my bed a lot this year, but still. ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN.
I’ve decided to make a list of things that I have learned throughout the years. It’s almost like a testimony of my life. I think this list will be good for me. It’s helping me reflect on the lessons I’ve learned + help me prepare for this next year. Possibly.
24 Things I’ve Learned in the Last 24 Years
- I still don’t know what “fashion” means, BUT I do know that you can pull anything off that you ~tell yourself~ you can pull off. YOU CAN TOTALLY WEAR JUMPSUITS. YOU CAN TOTALLY WEAR WHITE. YOU CAN TOTALLY WEAR STUFF FROM WALMART.
- You have to pay for speeding/traffic tickets or else they will issue out a warrant + you CAN get arrested.
- It’s okay to have separate groups of friends, you don’t have to do everything in ONE big group all the time. Some friends might not vibe with other friends and that’s okay. Don’t force people to hang out with people they don’t want to hang out with.
- Self-deprecating humor IS funny, but it is also sad. You’ll get the laughs, but also get the, “aww’s….” You don’t want the “aww’s…”
- Horoscopes may or may not be real. But, if they aren’t real… whoever is writing them sure knows a lot about me and my future. SpoOkY.
- Sometimes you HAVE to cry it out. Be strong, but also be strong enough to cry. It’ll be okay + it’ll be a little better after you cry it out. Trusttttt.
- Dating/boys don’t get better the older you get, it/they just get older (which isn’t always a good thing but also not a bad thing??)
- You don’t “want” Netfix and Hulu, you “NEED” Netflix and Hulu.
- Planners are cool. They’re even cooler when you use them. (Also, splurge on a NICE planner + you’ll be more likely to use it, I get mine from Ban.do.)
- The Bachelor might not be “real” but it sure is entertaining. Don’t let anyone shame you from watching good quality trash TV. Live, laugh, love trash TV.
- If you want something that is stupid expensive for no good reason, don’t just buy the cheaper knock-off. Just save to get the boujee thing, because you’ll never be ~truly~ happy with the knock-off. (This is directed @ my Hydroflask and all the poor water bottles I’ve bought until I finally got the Hydroflask.) It’s okay to want nice/boujee things.
- Beanies don’t look good on everyone and that’s OKAY.
- It’s better to know that a love interest doesn’t love you back then to live out a hypothetical romance in your head because you don’t know if he likes you or not.
- Church sucks if you’re only going to meet a future boo thang. Apparently “going for the right reasons” is a real thing.
- There is nothing wrong for wanting to be liked by everyone.
- Life is crazy, but it’s 10X crazier when Mercury is in retrograde (refer back to #5, I don’t know if it’s real but it sure feels like it.)
- There is NOTHING wrong with eating Chik-Fil-A multiple times a week.
- Rihanna is better than Beyonce.
- Life is all about the choices we make + every choice we make will have a consequence.
- School is important but so is my sanity.
- Old Navy errythang. If you shop at Old Navy, you know what this means.
- It’s OKAY to be sad about not dating anyone. I think sometimes whenever a girl says she’s sad that she’s single we try to convince her that she’s a strong woman that don’t need no one but herself, but I think it’s also okay to long for a companion? Idk. I just think it’s okay to not want to be single.
- In reference to #22, you can’t let your dating life, or lack thereof, TAKE OVER your normal day-to-day life. It’s okay to be sad or angry for a minute, but don’t let it take away from all of the other amazing things that life has to offer.
- Know your worth. Once you start believing you’re worth more, you’ll start acting like you’re worth more, and others will treat you like you’re worth more.
Well, that’s it. That’s all I’ve learned. Let’s see what this next year brings.